The people of Cartersville First Baptist Church have a rich heritage rooted in faith in a great God. The church has responded time and again as the needs of ministry have led to great steps of faith.
Cartersville First Baptist Church was first organized in 1839 as Pettit’s Creek Baptist Church in Bartow County, near what is today the intersection of Mission and Burnt Hickory Roads. Since its beginnings, the church has been mission-minded. In addition to the church early on supporting a Native American missionary, several international missionaries have gone from the church to foreign fields including Lottie Moon to China and Lucy Cunyus to Cuba.
In 1856, the church moved to a new facility on Market Street (now Cherokee Avenue) and eventually changed its name to Cartersville First Baptist Church. In 1864, the church building was severely damage by occupying Union forces. While in possession of the building, Union troops used most of the brick and lumber to build quarters for themselves and chimneys for their tents. What remained of the facility was destroyed by a tornado in the spring of 1868. The church met in other church buildings in the community until 1871, when the struggling members of the Baptist church erected a new wooden facility. A brick façade was added in 1890, which still stands on Cherokee Avenue across from Roselawn, the former home of evangelist Sam Jones.
While the church worshipped in its new facility on Market Street, Col. James B. Conyars and Col. J. M. Neel, trustees of the church, presented a case for war reparations to the federal government in Washington D.C. On May 22, 1888, the United States House of Representatives Committee on War Claims approved $5,000 to be paid to the First Baptist Church of Cartersville. Following the church raising an additional $5,000, a new property was purchased further east on Market Street (Cherokee Avenue). The church cornerstone was laid on November 15, 1904 and then on July 9, 1905 the initial regular service commenced.
Cartersville First Baptist Church voted in the fall of 2000 to purchase 34 acres of land on Douthit Ferry Road. On April 4, 2004 with more than 800 people in worship, the church occupied its new facilities.
After sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ for over eight generations, Cartersville First Baptist Church continues to look toward the future.